Saturday, February 28, 2015

Luke's First Haircut!

This was such a bittersweet moment for me as a mother. I had a very difficult time coming to terms with the fact that he really did need a haircut. I've known for a while actually, but there was no way in hell I was going to let anyone come anywhere near him with a pair of scissors. I never understood this aversion to cutting their hair until I became a mother. I know that he lost a lot of his baby hair, but cutting off this hair was possibly cutting off hair he's had since birth, and parting with that meant that he wasn't my little baby anymore :(.
My mother-in-law and husband were on the same page as me, but my sisters and Mom kept pushing for the haircut. I eventually caved one day when I looked at his hair and was able to wrap a hair tie around the bottom!!! Then I also realized that he had his one year photos coming up, and I really want him to look nice and clean, and not like a little hobo baby. 
So we scheduled the appointment and went for it a few days ago! I'm pretty sure this broke my mother-in-law's heart though (sorry!), but it was definitely not bad at all, we kept it as long as possible, just trimmed it up a bit. I didn't even cry! He wasn't sure what to think at first, but he made it through without crying too, though sitting still was difficult and only mildly managed with cheerios. I should have been more prepared and brought the big guns (mini marshmallows). 
The curls are definitely gone, and may never come back :( but he looks like an adorable little boy now :) And now when I throw some baby mousse in there, he doesn't look like he has "There's Something About Mary" hair, he just has a cute little faux hawk. 
So I just felt like it was necessary to chronicle this event, and wondered if any of you out there felt the same way when you had to cut your babe's hair? Or maybe I'm just crazy? 

With Love,

Claudia




No comments:

Post a Comment