Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Thank God for Baby Wearing!

Babywearing goes waaay back in time, and all the research will tell you that it will result in a less fussy, happier, and healthier baby, not to mention it frees up your hands so you can be more productive! Plus, who doesn't want to snuggle and be close to your baby? 

I like the Babywearing International site for some quick facts and information on babywearing. 

Now there are a LOT of different types of carriers, from wraps, slings, pouches to buckle carriers. I own three different ones, and I am going to focus on the ones I know, but that's not to say there aren't other great ones out there, this is based on my experience. The reason I haven't really tried others, is because I found two that I love, so I didn't feel the need to keep searching for the perfect one.


Luke in the Ergo at the beach :)
Luke in the Ergo at the beach, but sick :(
(the only thing that kept him happy)
My experience started with the Moby wrap that was a baby shower gift from my registry. I heard they were great, so of course, I needed one! However, when Luke was a newborn, I attempted it, and was so turned off by the heavy, thick fabric, and the overwhelming size and length of the wrap. I actually remember balling it up and throwing it in the trash (I had JUST given birth, ok). Then I dug it out, washed it, folded it nicely and placed it in the back of Luke's closet. I went right out and bought an Ergobaby carrier, which I started using right away and LOVE. Now I still stand by the Ergo, and I absolutely use it, but for me it is more of an outside the home kind of carrier. It is a bit bulkier than a wrap, and can make trying to get things done at home a little difficult, but it absolutely gets the job done. 

Because the Moby turned me away from wraps, I focused on the Ergo. But when Luke was 6 months old, I accidentally came across a different wrap, probably on Instagram. This wrap was a much lighter weight material, it was softer, the colors were amazing, the ends of the wrap were tapered so tying the knot at the end wasn't so bulky. It also comes with a little pocket at one end for a pacifier or whatever, and another pocket that you can roll the wrap up into. 
These are my Solly wraps (pacific, ox blood, navy shibori, & natural and grey stripe). 
We were bathroom dancing to
"Shake It Off"
(one of Luke's favorite songs)!
It is a bit more expensive, but to me, it was worth it, and I knew it the minute I took it out of the box. I think it is safe to say that I am OBSESSED with the Solly Baby wraps. I own four of them now, and have been addicted to using mine ever since I bought it. Some argue that the material is too stretchy or it gets too loose, but if you tie the wrap tight enough, that doesn't happen. I've worn Luke for hours in his (even at his current weight 22 lb), and it remains tight without hurting my back at all (and I have a bad lower back). I've heard there are others very similar (Boba, etc...), but I doubt any of them feel as soft as the Solly (they use a lenzing modal fabric that is to die for--oh and you can wrap it up and wear it as a scarf--see link).


I love that I can put the wrap on before I leave the house, so I can slide Luke right out of his carseat into the wrap, and we're on our way. I've definitely gotten so much quicker at doing it, and am quite the pro now. I've had Luke in a wrap at a funeral (it keeps him warm, comfy and quiet during a graveside service), shopping, and on walks. He stays happy and content, rarely fusses, and it keeps us warm when we're outside in the cold. The other day we were at the Farm Show, and last year when I was pregnant, I remember seeing all of the parents pushing their babies around in strollers and not having enough room to get around, so I threw him in my Navy Shibori and off we went. We ate lots of yummy Farm Show food and saw some animals, and I was so thankful he was wrapped up next to me (forgot to snap a pic though). 


Cutting down a Christmas tree in the freezing rain at my Grandpa's Christmas Tree Farm, 
but we kept each other warm :)

My biggest regret is that I didn't have this wrap when Luke was 0-6 months, especially during that 3-6 month stage where he didn't sleep like a log all day long, wanted to be in everybody's business, but couldn't do anything for himself, so basically wanted my attention 24 hours a day...I really could have used it then. The wrap is intended for babies up to a year, or around 25 lb, but I will use it as long as it remains safe and comfortable. 

And unfortunately, I don't have any photos of us in the Pacific or Navy Shibori..I was wearing the Ox Blood around the holidays because it felt Christmasy to me, but don't worry, they'll come! And sorry, most of the pics are selfies so you can only see the top half of the wrap...I'll work on that too :)

 The colors on the site are a bit different than how they look in real life, so I recommend seeing her Instagram account for more accurate colors (they are BEAUTIFUL) but I highly recommend following her too (sollybabywrap), as she is one of my favorite people to follow on Instagram! Plus she gives lots of great tips and her tutorial videos are awesome!


I hope you find a wrap or carrier you love, and don't forget, when baby wearing, 
your baby should always be close enough to kiss :)

Thanks for reading!

With Love,

Claudia

P.S. Here are some recent photos of us at the Farm Show in the Navy Shibori...and then, just a cute one of Luke and Jared on the tractor :)











2 comments:

  1. I love how they can double as scarves! So cute and not at all bulky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great information! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete