Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Registry Must Haves!!


These are a handful of products that I absolutely love and could not live without (yes, I know...not having these products=first world problems). Okay, fine...they just really make life easier and more convenient. This is definitely not an all-inclusive list, just some random things I found to be so helpful the first few months of Luke's life, and many I still use, obviously you will still need the essentials (bottles, diapers, etc...). These items are in addition to the baby wrap/carrier and bottle brushes I discussed in previous posts, which I also consider necessary! (I've linked the products to the title for convenience!)



Car Seat Cover: Great for cold weather or the rain, especially since you can't put a heavy coat on the baby underneath the car seat straps. This is the one I have, which I loved, but there are lots out there. You can get this one on Amazon for $25-30 but you can definitely find others out there for a little less. 

Car Seat Arm Cushion: Car seats are heavy as a...well they're heavy, especially with a growing baby in them. This cushion on the car seat handle really helps soften the blow to your arm. Again, there are many that would work, this just happens to be the one that I used, and as usual, I got it on Amazon for $12-13. 

Backseat Mirror: So some might argue that this is a safety hazard, but it really doesn't worry me too much (picking my battles here). I've been using this Britax one, which has horizontal and vertical straps to secure it, and for me, the sheer convenience of it made it worth it. I can look right in my rear view mirror and see my babe. The position and angle is adjustable, so it's just great...I hated not being able to see his face before I had it, and I will be using this until he's forward facing! Again..got mine on Amazon, $14-16. 

Stroller Organizer: This is super helpful if your stroller does not come with a cup holder/pockets, and this one fits on most strollers. This is the Britax one I have, and it sells on Amazon currently for $23-24.

Diaper Bag: I've only ever used one style, but I can't get enough of my Petunia Pickle Bottom boxy backpack diaper bag. I purchased it (with a 20% off coupon and a bunch of gift cards) from Pottery Barn, but they're available straight from the website, and you can also find decent deals on Amazon. They are pretty pricey, but I plan on using mine forever. They come out with new prints frequently. It has a shoulder strap, but also back pack straps which is really convenient. They run anywhere from $150-200. Also, a friend of mine had purchased hers though Pottery Barn, and had a bad spill (grape juice or something) in the bag, couldn't get the stain out, and Petunia Pickle Bottom replaced it for her...what amazing customer service?!


Diaper clutch: I got this one from the Honest Company, but any little zip pouch would work. This is great for when I don't want to take Luke's entire diaper bag with me somewhere, and I can throw it in the stroller or my own bag. It'll hold the essentials (diapers, wipes, burp cloth, bib, extra outfit/onesie and a toy or two). 

Pajamas: You might think pajamas (or in our house..jammies or jam jams) are just pajamas, and any will do. Well, one of the BEST pieces of advice I can give you about these babies (advice originally given to me by a fellow mama, my friend Sarah), is to ONLY buy ZIP-UP pajamas until your baby is sleeping through the night. Unless you enjoy spending a ridiculous amount of time trying find the right snaps or buttons when you're finished changing the baby in the middle of the night, in the dark, when you are dead tired and delirious, then you will listen. I didn't realize this until I already had purchased some button up jams, and we ended up only wearing them during the day. I tried a button up once at night, and vowed to never subject myself to the torture again. Maybe I'm being dramatic, but come on...I promise you, you won't regret it. I love Carter's, so I have tons of theirs, but any old zip-up will do! 


Burp Cloths: These were far and away my favorite burp cloths, and boy did we need burp cloths. Luke stopped spitting up around 7-8 months and it was magical, but for the first 6 months or so of his life, I feel like we swam in spit up. We went through these like crazy. Luke even was endearingly awarded the nickname, "Pukey Lukey" for a little while there. These are the OsoCozy unbleached brand, but basically what you need are the pre-fold cloth diapers. This is what makes the best, most absorbable and and easy to use burp cloths. The ones linked to this description are really thick (not a bad thing, but there are thinner ones which are also nice). I also used them as changing pads around the house to protect my furniture/floor from the inevitable puke and poop :)

Swaddlers/Blankets: A few big, fluffy blankets are great for keeping your newborn warm, but the best swaddle blankets are Aden & Anais. They are my f.a.v.o.r.i.t.e. They are soft, big, lightweight and breathable, not to mention, adorable. They have a bunch of different prints and types of materials, and they're all great, but my favorite (and the softest) are the bamboo. They're available all over the place, and a three pack of the Bamboo runs $44.99, but on Amazon, sometimes, they're cheaper...I JUST bought a pack for a gift for only $30! (Prices on Amazon fluctuate a lot, so I'll watch things and grab them when they drop in price). 

Hands-Free Pumping Bra: I'm not even going to tell you which one I bought, because any will do, and I really don't remember (it's packed away in the back of Luke's closet). They are available at Babies R Us, Amazon, and lots of other places online. Really, all you need is a bra with two little holes in it. I honestly thought of making my own at one point, I was so desperate. I had to pump very early on, and I felt like I was glued to my pump, and for those of you who have pumped without a hands-free bra, know that it incapacitates you. This may very well be one of the greatest inventions of all time. Suddenly, I had two extra hands that I didn't have before, and I could multitask (change a diaper, bottle feed the babe, or play on my phone which at least passed time). 

Sound Machine: There is some research out there suggesting that white noise is better than any other type of sound machine (whether it be lullabies, nature sounds, etc...) because it lacks any discernible pattern (Thanks Sarah again for the tip on this one). Even when you are asleep, your brain can identify patterns and prevent a good, deep sleep. So a white noise machine is a great choice, and we are addicted to ours. This is the one we have, and we highly recommend it. Here is a link to an article if you have any concerns about the noise level causing damage. They do run about $50, but it is worth it. I have no idea if this has anything to do with how good of a sleeper Luke is, but I'm not willing to take the chances...we will be using this for a looooong time.

Play Gym: This is (very similar to) the play mat/gym that we used, but really any one would work. This was my saving grace from 3-6 months when I needed to quickly get things done, he didn't want to be restricted to his swing, and I couldn't throw him in my wrap/carrier. It really kept him occupied, entertained, and promoted tummy time! Plus this one folds up so it's easy to transport! You can find these at lots of baby stores, and run anywhere from $20-50. 

Drying Rack: Looove me some Boon Grass! What is great about this drying rack, is that you can dry all kinds of things on it past the bottle/nipple/breast pump stage. I use it for drying baby silverware, sippy
cups, straws, etc... And the accessories are adorable and so useful! They sell a bunch of different flowers/branches that you can add for extra drying room (great for smaller things). You can get these on Amazon, Target, Babies R Us, among other places. There are a few different sizes, ranging from $15-25, the accessories are usually around $5. 

Snot Sucker: Eww, gross right? If you are easily grossed out, this may not be the best choice for you, but come on, just get over it, it's just a little snot. Plus it works so much better than the little blue nasal aspirators they give you at the hospital. Those things are impossible to fully clean, and fill with mold, so you really shouldn't use them for a long period of time. The NoseFrida is a nasal aspirator that works well, is easy to clean, and you provide the vacuum with your mouth that aspirates your babe's nose. There is a filter though that prevents ANY snot from coming anywhere near your mouth, I promise! Go get one now! They're about $15 and you can get them at Babies R Us and Amazon, among other places. (Just for giggles: The Sweedish company that makes these is hilarious, they also have a 'Windi' for colic and gas relief that goes right in the baby's bottom..pretty funny...check it out here). 

Butt Cream: Vitamin A&D cream is my absolute favorite and I swear by it. It was recommended to me by a few of my Mama friends and nurses who also swear by it. As a pediatric nurse caring for extremely sick and fragile babies and children, I've come across some incredibly sore, excoriated, bleeding and painful bottoms. In my experience, putting any type of white (often zinc oxide) cream on these tushies is a mistake. The white cream is good as a preventative barrier, but not once there is any rash/breakdown. Poop just ends up getting stuck and caked into the cream, and you end up causing further damage trying to clean the bottom. In Luke's 10+ months, I've not had to ever use any cream other than A&D. It's clear, thin, and works wonders. You can get it anywhere they sell butt cream. I've recently been searching for a less toxic or organic version of A&D that is affordable...I'll let you know if I find anything (meanwhile, I'm going with this until I do)! 


Hope this list helps, I'll be updating it and adding to it as I come across more things I can't live without :)

With Love,

Claudia











No comments:

Post a Comment